Powr

Thursday, February 2, 2012

We are getting closer to the NFMS!

Each year I mark my calendar for the time frame for when the official lists of competitors is released for the National Farm Machinery Show.   I love to look at the list for several reasons; (1) to see how I did with my predictions of each class, (2) to take a look at the competitors in each session in an attempt to determine which class may be the most difficult to qualify out of, (3) did competitors switch nights or did the NFMS Committee see the need to move competitors to another night?  I have been asked several times in the past few weeks if I would be posting my predictions?  Though I like to post my predictions for who will get in the event, I will refrain from posting who I feel may win their respective classes! 

For those of you who don't know when a competitor sends their application into the NFMS Committee, they have the option to choose a primary day and a secondary day, with the knowledge that the Committee may have to move them accordingly.  For many years it has seemed to me like if a competitor got in, they were often on the same night as the previous year but this year I have found several differences in the classes that have multiple qualifying sessions.

I have already posted my prediction results-(See Farm Show Predictions Recap posted 11/11/2011) but as I spoke in that post, I wanted to do a further look at the fields as a whole.

The first class that jumps out at me is Wednesday Night's Pro Stock Tractor Class!  Don't get me wrong, I understand that every one of these classes is loaded with champions and threats to make the finals, but this section is packed!

Wednesday Night Pro Stock
-Five finalists from last years 12 are in this section, they are; (YoungBuck/CornFed/Fuelish Pleasure/Aces Wild/Big Country).  In that list of five, we have two Tantrum tractors, Justison won last year on Wednesday Night and finished 3rd in the finals and Sapp who was 4th in the finals a year ago.  The YoungBuck was a strong threat to fight for a top three spot in the finals but suffered breakage in the qualifier and did not make a pass in the finals.
-In addition to these five finalists from last year, there are four additional competitors who are former Saturday Night Champions of the NFMS; ( K. Masterson 97, Shope 03, Parish 09, Teipen 04).  I am not discrediting the other qualifying sections but this one caught my eye from the very first look.


Another class that caught my eye was the Thursday Night session of the Unlimited Super Stock Tractors.

Thursday Night Unlimited Super Stocks
The addition of two European competitors completed the field at 16. One of the Euro pullers Sjors Zeinstra has been here before for the NFMS on his John Deere.   While most classes were capped at 15, I think it would have been virtually impossible to determine which one of the tractors was not going to be in the field.  This class has it all and I truly can't wait to see how it shakes out! Last years champions was the Ohio based XXX of Frank Keener, he and 15 other competitors will be fired up for Thursday Night. 

Additional Comment's and things to watch
  • Glad to have the King of Smoke back in the field with not one but two tractors.  Esdon will be ready for action after not coming to the NFMS in 2011. Can Redline Lite run with the big DSS?
  • Can Brian Korth continue the streak as the only winner of the Light Super Stock class, he did it in 2010 and 2011
  • Will Randy or Jessie Petro find their way back to the winner's circle?  After three straight years of Petro domination, Randy just missed last year in finishing 2nd.  Randy was the 08 and 09 winner, while his son Jessie was the 10 champion.  This could be a very interesting side story come Saturday night as the Petro's have been nothing short of spectacular over the last three to four years!
  • Will the state of Illinois flex it's muscles again?  Last year NFMS had a great showing from the state of Illinois, session winners were Justison, Fraker, Mumma.  Final's winners were Little and Bunnage.
What are you most interested in seeing?  Please use the comments section of the blog to further this topic!

We are counting down until the competition begins and Miles Beyond 300 will be there to keep you up to date.  I hope to have updates from the event and full recaps following.

No comments:

Post a Comment